In today’s market, there are at least five types of baby carriers that you can choose from, and these all come in different designs that can suit any kind of preference. For mothers and fathers looking to start babywearing, the first step should always be to gather some information, and know about the concept and different advantages and disadvantages that can be had by different kinds of baby carriers as well as a clear understand of what’s the best baby carrier for toddlers.
The mei tai is an Asian-style carrier that works sort of like a back pack, with straps connected to the corners of a large rectangular fabric or cloth which holds the baby in place. These straps are tied together over both shoulders to allow the baby to be snuggled close to you. One of the easiest carriers to learn using, the mei tai can be used as a frontal carrier, or a back carrier.
To know if the mei tai is the baby carrier that suits your needs and preference, let’s take a quick look at the pros and cons that this type of carrier offers.
1. Distributes weight over both shoulders, making them ideal for people with back problems.
2. Allows the mother to nurse her child hands-free.
3. Flexibility to use it as a front carrier or a back carrier.
4. Adjustable straps that can be tied to preference for maximum security.
5. Can be used for newborns and toddlers.
1. Not really ideal for newborn hands-free breastfeeding/nursing.
2. Has long straps that drag on the ground when tying them together.
3. Not the most ideal carrier for newborns or small babies as they tend to slouch in a ball in the carrier, causing issues for the spine.
4. Does not work well with side-carries.
5. May not be suitable for use in muddy places due to its long straps
Understandably, the mei tai may need some time for first-time babywearers to get used to, but that also applies to some other types of baby carriers. While the mei tai may not be as easy to put on compared to the basic wrap, its adjustability and the stability that it provides to the wearer are both key points that definitely provide that plus factor. With its two-shoulder straps, this baby carrier is ideal for use with babies starting from their newborn to the toddler phase.